Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Guests: Reporter Mike Stark and journalist Chris Hayes

The Majority Report begins this Wednesday with news about the escalation of violence by the pro-Mubarak supporters in Tahrir Square and how the Egyptian military is almost acting like UN Peacekeepers. Sam played some audio of Mubarak stating that he is going to stay for his full term but not run for president again.

If you haven’t listened to Sam’s interview with Heather Hurlburt yesterday, now’s the time. She had some great insight on Egypt.

Sam will be speaking to Professor Juan Cole this weekend on Ring of Fire Radio. Professor Cole has a great new article called Why Egypt 2011 is not Iran 1979 that is worth a read.

The AP released a story today about a Democratic report that exposes that “oil and gas companies have injected more than 32 million gallons of fluids containing diesel fuel underground.” And that this “appears to violate the Safe Drinking Water Act.” Appears? Really? Great reporting from the AP here.

Sam interviewed Josh Fox, the director of the Academy Award-nominated documentary Gasland, and knows damn-well that this hydro-fracking is doing more than appearing to contaminate drinking water.

Watch the Josh Fox interview.

Reporter and blogger, Mike Stark joins Sam to discuss a story that is breaking in the National Enquirer accusing John Boehner of extra marital affair with a lobbyist. Mike Stark had already asked Speaker Boehner point blank about this months ago (with no comment) and now the Enquirer is going to press with it.

Watch the interview with Mike Stark.

Listen to the interview with Mike Stark.

Chris Hayes from The Nation joins Sam to describe how he was living it up with the billionaires at Davos while Egypt rioted. Sam was curious how Chris would look in the leather-overload jacket that Thomas Friedman wore on TV from Davos – hence the disturbing picture on the right. Chris talks about fractal inequality, the rarefied air in Davos and gives some thoughts on Egypt.

Listen to the interview with Chris Hayes.

Finally on today’s Post Show Sam takes listener IMs that lead him to topics like his burgeoning argument with Mark Maron, Dorsey’s dating status and why Myla is so concerned about it.

Not sure how to IM Sam? We put together a quick “How To” on setting up Instant Messenger with the AIM Express app.

Tomorrow Sam’s guest will be Will Bunch. Check out his book The Backlash: Right-Wing Radicals, High-Def Hucksters, and Paranoid Politics in the Age of Obama.

Daily Recap via Avant

This entry was posted in Podcast, Shows. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Wednesday, February 2, 2011

1. Not-Dorsey says:

Sitting in cafe in Swiss alps watching protests in Cairo live on Al Jazeera on my iPad. 21st century is a trip.
    9:39 AM Jan 29th via Twitter for iPhone
    chrislhayes

Christopher Hayes tries on Tom Friedman’s leather jacket.

• E Rock says:

good morning jimbo. I am ready for mind blowing insightful quotes.

• “When they took the fourth amendment, I was silent because I don’t deal drugs.

When they took the sixth amendment, I kept quiet because I know I’m innocent.

When they took the second amendment, I said nothing because I don’t own a gun.

Now they’ve come for the first amendment, and I can’t say anything at all.”

-Tim Freeman

2. Ok, I think I figured out the whole twitter thing;

If you ‘follow’ me I’ll try not to say anything too substantial…

@HDJennings

3. Morning all. Egypt heating up with the Mubarak thugs being sent into the square in Cairo. They were also sent to other ares in Egypt like Alexandria and Suez. I was in Egypt 30 years ago. Some areas I recognize on the videos and others I don’t. I was afraid these protests were too good to be true. Evil always seems to invade!

4. Is it Saturday already ? ;)

5. Nefferkitti says:

Dorsey

Audio is breaking up 3 seconds. and when it is on its really choppy.

6. SultanAlQassemi Sultan Al Qassemi
    by taylormarsh
    This Mubarak caused chaos in Meydan Tahrir could be the beginning of a an Egyptian Civil War. That will be the crooked old man’s legacy.

7. E Rock says:

Is anyone elses Audio messed up?

8. Nefferkitti says:

Morning all. having more snow and ice again – Snowcones for everyone!

9. Sound cutting in and out. Even on iTunes

10. tpmmedia Talking Points Memo
    Birther Bills Pop Up In Connecticut And Arizona http://tpm.ly/gU2Gjb ^@ericlach

11. Ah,audio..No Sammy cam,though..No biggie..
    Morning all..

12. grittv grittv
    RT @jeremyscahill: MT @naglarzk: bbc arabic, karim reda blogger says gov company (petrotrade) said theyd pay em to go & protest for mubarak

13. Sammy cam up..

14. Not-Dorsey says:

Thomas Friedman applies his weird analogies to Egypt
    The Times columnist asks how weird it would be if this was happening in Canada
    BY ALEX PAREENE

As soon as a mass popular uprising began rocking Egypt, New York Times columnist and Middle East expert Thomas Friedman leaped into action. After spending a couple more days at Davos, he went to Israel, where he spoke to “a retired Israeli general at a Tel Aviv hotel” and “a Tel Aviv University Strategist.” Oh and Palestine Prime Minister Salam Fayyad. All of these people get one fairly generic quote each.

Anyway, people in Israel are shocked (and awed) that Egypt’s once-stable regime seems to be on the brink of collapse. No one in Israel saw this coming, and this is a huge deal, for Israel:

The peace treaty with a stable Egypt was the unspoken foundation for every geopolitical and economic policy in Israel for the last 35 years, and now it’s gone. It’s as if Americans suddenly woke up and found both Mexico and Canada plunged into turmoil on the same day. -Thomas Friedman

15. jeremyscahill jeremy scahill
    Mubarak thugs chanting, “Our Blood, Our Lives, We’ll Give for You Mubarak.” Iraqis used to chant that for Saddam #Egypt

16. dogfido says:

Please the music that just played what is it?

17. daveweigel daveweigel
    Kent Conrad nodding as Lindsey suggests scrapping payroll tax.

18. majorityblog Majority Reporters
    by majorityfm
    Photo: An interactive map of the recent areas of unrest throughout Africa and the Middle East: http://tumblr.com/xp71er6gtg #Egypt

19. show tunes list here:

i;ve been looking for this site since you mentioned wanting the old MRR music
    playlist.

this was put together by MRR blogger mobjectivist. Has all the other AAR show playlists also

show tunes list here:

20. dogfido says:

Thanks, Sunshine Jim.

21. no biggie, mobjectivist put that list together 5 years ago.

22. eacusa EACUSAمصريون للتغيير
    by monaeltahawy
    #JAN25 #EGYPT TO EVERYONE I KNOW IN THE USA, CALL THE WHITE HOUSE, SAVE YOUR BORTHERS AND SISTERS IN EGYPT, LET’S… http://fb.me/uyVZ9bkO

23. Sam,

What’s happening with the tweet war between you and Matt Stoller?

Could someone IM that for me.?

24. HuffingtonPost Huffington Post
    Finally, that rocket fuel chemical in our drinking water is going to be regulated http://huff.to/gNXnkJ

25. Nobody says:

no…the other guys wife did that from tunisia…not mubaraks

26. Nobody says:

naw…I watched rachels show…the other listener got wrong what she said…last nights show is still posted if you’d like to check

27. Pingback: Tweets that mention Wednesday, February 2, 2011 | The Majority Report with Sam Seder -- Topsy.com

28. Pingback: Will Boehner’s be the shortest Speakership ever? at StarkReports.com

29. Bravomatic says:

OK. I think I’m a member finally.

Now I just need to get the IM stuff working.